Friday, August 13, 2010

Is my world crumbling in around me?

There is that old saying "if it wasn't for bad luck he wouldn't have any luck at all" or something to that effect. It feels like I'm living that statement right now.

It all started with the spokes on the rear wheel of my Moots. Riding to M-Hill one morning when I heard the unmistakeable ping of a spoke breaking. Having trued those wheels just recently, I knew I had spokes that were super tight and others that were just barely tight. Knew that wheel was toast. So, as I have mentioned, the wheels were torn apart and hubs sent away for rebuild.

No biggie. I have a CX bike (the Major Jake) I can ride on the road and on dirt until the mountain wheels are done. And as you probably know, I did the karate chop of time on that frame, finding her cracked around the bottom bracket. Then I was down to one singlespeed that is in a bit of disrepair right now. Fucking sweet.

Then the wheels came back, but our UPS guy was a total jackass and delivered them to the wrong house. This house didn't even have the same house number as mine. WTF? How fucking dumb can this guy be? Let's see...this package has a 3 digit address, ah, fuck it, I'll deliver it to this house with a 4 digit address. Thankfully, the kid at the house realized the wheels weren't his after opening the box and looking inside at the round, spoked sex-in-a-box delivered to his house and he brought them to me.

Things were looking up a bit when Bobki texts me and says he's gonna be in the area and wants to ride. SWEET. Sunday morning, Storm Mountain, 3+ hours are planned. BUT, and this is a big one, Sunday morning breaks to the world with pouring rain. Every single time I've gone to ride Storm Mtn. this year we've had some sort of weird weather. Great. Bobki is driving up from Nebraska that morning to ride and it is pouring out. Long story short, the weather breaks and we have a window of about 2 hours to ride now before he has to get back. Off to Storm Mtn. we go and somewhere along the line we must have pissed the mountain bike gods off. I flat. After fixing that, we cruise along when Bobki gets a flat, but now his sidewall is cut and we're screwed. So a 3+hour planned ride turns into a 30 minute ride, 30 minutes of tire repair, and that's it.

And, the final nail in the coffin has to do with Bobki as well. We have cracked the 2 months to go mark until the 24 Hours of Moab and it is starting to feel like things need to start ramping up for the race. Yesterday, I get an e-mail from Bobki saying that a new work opportunity has presented itself to him and it conflicts with the 24 HoM for him, so we might need to find an alternate. WHAT? Holy SHIT! NO WAY. We'll find a way to make it work with Bobki. We can't have Teamfubar without one of the original members.

But things are starting to look up. I came across some money yesterday that will cover my new CX frame and maybe some parts. I hope things are looking up, I gotta get on a winning streak.

No comments:

Post a Comment